Monday, January 18, 2010

Fly Control?

I am considering putting my mare on some kind of a feed through fly control supplement for this comming insect season. I board her so not every horse in the barn will be on the same thing. I was thinking of just feeding plain old garlic to help reduce the number to fly bites she gets. If I feed her something like Bug Check or just Organic Garlic, will it still help to reduce the flies on her even if the other horses aren't getting it?Fly Control?
I think the feed through stuff would only work if they were all getting it because it stops the flies from breeding and hatching in the poo so they'd just do it in the other horses' poo instead.


If you feed garlic it will reduce the bites because it alters the way they smell so they are less attractive to the insects. This definitely works to some extent as we have been using it for years on ours and you can really see the difference if they don't have it.Fly Control?
I have already started my mares on Horse Garlic. Last year was the 1st year for me to try it and honestly it works. I purchased my garlic at our local tack store. Ani-Med is the name of the 100 o/o pure garlic. I feed 2 tablespoons twice daily.
I know anther trick my farrier taught me. One of my mares is allergic to fly bites, so we put Apple Cider Vinegar in her food. It smells very bitter, but if the horse rejects it, it will get hungry enough to eat it. It's kind of sad to force them to eat it, but the flies stay away.
Has anyone ever thought about keeping a clean barn and using a good fly spray? I'm in the midwest, the heart of flys during the summer months. I keep the maure pile about 200 yards away from the barn, use fans during high humidity, and change the water in the tanks every day when the tempeture is over 80. I have no fly problms! But have been to barns that use home made recipies, cheap sprays,feed through stuff, and you cant stand in the hallways without getting bit every second! Folks, there is no 100% cure for flys, just do the best you can! I also use Endure, Happy Horse or Repel X on the horses and in the stalls. No problms here! There is no perfect solution to keep flys away, they were here before we were! Just keep the flys intrest away from the barn......
if you are going to use a feed through fly control use garlic. other types just kill fly eggs when the fly lays them in the manure and since not all the horses will be fed the supplement it won't help much at all. garlic will reduce the number of bites.
instead of feeding her something y don't u try 2 spray her with vinegar? i heard that it works

No comments:

Post a Comment