Saturday, January 16, 2010

What do you think of feed through fly control?

Summer is fast approaching in Florida and I am considering putting my horse on a feed through fly control. There are only 3 horses at my barn and the lady I ride with owns the other two horses. She was saying how she was putting her horses on a feed through fly control. I looked it up and it said it was more efficient of all the horses in the barn were on it.





I've heard that oral joint supplements don't work because they often don't make it through the horses digestive system. So what about feed through fly supplements, do you think they work?What do you think of feed through fly control?
Feed through fly control doesn't get absorbed by the horse (in a perfect world) The purpose of it is to kill the fly larvae in the manure, therefore you get fewer flies, and thus the horses get ';bugged'; less. It doesn't make your horses have built in fly repellent like the apple cider vinegar and garlic do. Those options have problems too--the cider can't be used in horses prone to ulcers, and garlic can make horses anemic.





Please check with your vet before you start this product. Several years ago, the chemical used killed several horses in the US. I think they reformulated the product, but I'd check with the vet.





For about the same money, and without chemicals fed to your horses, you can get the fly predators. They are tiny dragon flies that catch and kill the flies, so they get the ones born on your place and also the ones that travel in from the neighbors' place. You get a small paper bag of eggs monthly, you incubate the bag for a couple of days, and then let the predators loose. I've found them to work very well, and I don't worry about the possible problems with the chemicals.What do you think of feed through fly control?
I use Simplyfly and it works.


We have two horses. If you want to see a reduction in the amount of flys you must have all the horses on the property on it. It stops the flys from being able to breed in the manure.


It does cut way down on the number of flys we have but I still have to use a fly spray on the horses.
Feed through works, but then you will have manure with chemicals in it.





Picking up the manure and taking it off is much cheaper and is as effective.Find a citrus grove or some other farmer that will turn it under in the fields.
The only thing I put in my horses' feed for fly control is brown apple cider vinegar. It works very well. I'll I do is add 1 tsp for a few days to each feed and work my way up to a 1 Tbl spoon.





Hope This Helps!
My horses suffers from sweet itch, when he was at livery in more susceptible area, i used to put garlic granules in his feed, which i found really effective against midges and flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment