Saturday, January 16, 2010

Must I join a remote control flying club just to fly a remote control airplane?

I have been given a gas powered airplane but I have never flown any sort of remote controlled plane in my life....but I have a few buddies who are good at this who would like to try too but they fly electrical planes with battery packs. Would it be illegal in the UK for us to practice flying in a huge field without joining those Flying clubs?


There are signs all over that place warning about taking care about rc planes. the park is like a large grassland area one side and lots of full sized football pitches on the other side to giv u an idea of how big the area is.Must I join a remote control flying club just to fly a remote control airplane?
no you don't need to be a member of a flying club,its not a bad idea to join one as you have never before flown one as they help and give good information on how to do it right.but you do find that members of a flying club tend to sick together and can be a bit funny towards new members,not all clubs are like this but you do get it alot.you can fly a plane as long as you are quite away from houses and electrical lines.


my father in law has built and flown these for years and he was once in a club but didn't like it due to other members so now he flys on his own.as long as there is enough area i should be OK but take it easy as its easy to loose your plane once the wind catches it.Must I join a remote control flying club just to fly a remote control airplane?
I live in south-east London and I fly both glow engine and electrical powered rc aircraft and I havn't joined a flying club I got into the hobby when I saw local people flying their jets and glow engine powered models but I always avoid flying on the day the club is there using the field cause I noticed their notice board thingy were they write down the frequency channel of every person so that no one else uses the same radio channel.


btw those oldies were not so friendly when I asked them a few questions.
Personnel liability insurance,Clubs have to have it.
Hi I fly radio colrol planes,electric and glow engined.


You don't legally need to join a club or have insurance but get some advice from your mates about its condition for flying first and on how to fly it. Gas powered(glow engined) is no different to electric so they could take it up for you and check it out before you have a go.


Be sure no-one else around is using the same frequency your on as it will get messy.


You don't mention what type of plane it is,if it a high wing then thats best to start, if its a low wing then sell it and get a high wing model they are more of a trainer type and easier to learn with,its very hard starting off !!!!
It would be better if you did join a club. Apart from the 'Third Party Insurance' cover, you will be able to avail the experience of the other members, especially since you are new. Mostly people are helpful and are keen to teach. In the old days we had the buddy box system in which a senior hooked his transmitter to yours and would let you fly. In case of any problems he would take over and save the aircraft. Also, frequency control is exercised in clubs which ensures no two people are flying on the same frequency. Without this, serious interference could result in planes going out of control.
I am unsure of the legalities in the UK, however, in the US you are not required to join a club. Joining one however is an excellent idea as they can be quite challenging to fly, especially the gas models. A gas powered model will get away from you a lot faster than the electric park flyers.


In the US, most clubs require that you belong to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics), a model airplane association that gives you up to a million dollars in liability insurance. A good idea since people have actually been killed and seriously injured by out of control model aircraft. I would be willing to bet that the UK has a similar organization.
I don't know about you people having such a hard time joining clubs! I have been flying R/C for many years here in America.


We always invited new members into the club because we didn't want model aviation to get a bad reputation from unskilled flyers crashing and doing property damage.





Besides, I never met a R/C flyer I didn't like.
I am a radio controll modler myself and i have never joined a club to fly my planes or sail my boats,if you oin a club you are told when to fly as long as you act properly and responsible you can fly anywhere within reson just watch out for the public i fly my planes in unused fields away from houses and people.happy flying
It worries me a little, OK a lot that you say gas powered. Gas?? do you mean a full blown gas turbine engine in a model? 拢1500 worth of engine alone!! and you intend flying (well crashing on take off) this with out any help from someone who really knows what they are doing!! The chances are that a model with that type of engine will be too heavy to be flown without CAA permission.


If your saying gas in the American fashion ( glow fuel or petrol) I'd still say get help, even though the answer to your question is legally no. As there is a big difference between a 拢49 foam fun flyer and a full blown radio control model plane with an internal combustion engine. Unless your plane has the latest 2.4Ghz radio kit you need to know what frequency other fliers in the area are using, or you will get interference on your radio gear and crash. Your looking at a minimum of 拢70 for a new engine and 拢150 for radio gear if you wreck it.


Go to


www.bmfa.org


Joining the BMFA will give you access to proper training problem solving hands on not through the Internet and importantly insurance cover ( 拢21adults 拢12 if your a junior for 拢5million cover) also,


Hit someone with a model plane doing 60MPH and they might never know about it, but you will for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment